Monday, May 10, 2010

Spring Snow

You may have seen the picture of my snow-covered lilacs on my niece's blog, Auntie Cake's.  My son gave me a ride in his newest car for Mother's Day, and going through the woods I was surprised by how many trees had fallen due to the weight of the snow.  We only got about four inches, but it was wet and heavy -- and gone within 24 hours.

Did you know a spring snow like that is called poor man's fertilizer?  Partly because the moisture helps things "green up," and partly because it really does add nutrients like nitrogen to the soil.  I was so pleased to hear this because...

...we're supposed to get more on Tuesday!!!

6 comments:

  1. Crazy that you are still getting so much snow in MAY! I love the Lilac picture-which is so telling since the lilac season is usually safe from snow! Hope you are staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny- I had your window open while working elsewhere & westminster chimes started to ring. That clock is too funny~ I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? More on Tuesday? Man, you need to find a better place to live! Well, you won't have to water for a while! (Had to go check that I used it correctly, you do realize that you have us all paranoid about leaving comments!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no more snow, that must be frustrating. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are getting a light snow today (Wed). It's melting as it hits the ground. The moisture is terrific!

    jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! & here I am being a big baby about all the rain & the darkness...you win. But I am glad you won this time & not me :) 4 inches!!! I had no idea it was so much!

    Hope you had a good time cruisin' :)

    ReplyDelete