Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Then / Than

I haven't posted in a long while as I've been busy with several proofing projects.  Now I'm back, and here's a simple one to get back in the swing of things. 

Then is an adverb related to time:  First I catch up on my blogging friends, then I clean my house.  After you finish that, then you can play.

Than is a conjunction, and is used in comparisons:  I like reading blogs more than I like cleaning.  As in this example, than often follows a comparison word such as better than, more than, other than.

I don't believe I've ever seen than used when then is appropriate, but let's not substitute then when the correct word is than.

3 comments:

  1. I have seen the two mixed up, but I think the reason is because sometimes people pronounce "then" as than and so they write it that way. Have you found it to be true that incorrect word usage can be a mispronunciation problem?

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see you start posting again :-) I just used your anyway/anyways example for my 15 yo daughter :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back :)I've been out of school too many years, so I appreciate all of the help you provide.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete